As a landlord you are entitled to claim a tax reduction on the cost of equipment used in property rental businesses. But do you know what landlord expenses can be claimed for rental property? Many of you are missing out on tax relief that you are within your rights to claim. 


Landlord expenses: what am I entitled to?

It’s important to know exactly what landlord expenses you are entitled to, so that you can ensure you’re filing everything correctly. Tax legislation states that money spent on equipment used in a business is not approved for tax deductions – instead capital allowances (CAs) are given. So, What are capital allowances? Capital allowances are expenditure a business may claim against its taxable profit and can be claimed on most assets purchased for use in the business, including equipment. However, you need to know the limitations and restrictions associated with landlord expenses and property allowances, such as if CAs create or increase a loss in a property rental business. 


When can I claim CAs?

HMRC guidelines for landlords of residential accommodation could be misinterpreted when it comes to tax relief for landlords. So let’s clarify; HMRC implies that CAs can only be claimed when the property is furnished holiday accommodation. But, what is actually being said is that you can’t claim CAs for equipment “for use in a dwelling house”. This means the cost of equipment for use in the property by the tenants, not on equipment used or required to manage your residential property letting business. 

Here’s the thing, you can claim CAs for the equipment used in a property if it has a life expectancy of more than 2 years and is used to help maintain your residential property, items such as power tools and computers. You must however, take note that you cannot claim on the whole amount as non-business use must be taken into consideration for your claim. Capital items that are purchased for your tenant are subject to a different rule. 

There is a different system that allows normal tax deduction (not CAs) for the cost of renewing capital “domestic items” used by the tenant. These are items such as beds, wardrobes, cutlery, white goods and soft furnishings etc.   

What about non-residential rental properties?

For non-residential property businesses the same rules do not apply on the purchase of capital items. You can claim CAs for the cost of all equipment bought for use in the property and all equipment bought to manage the property. 


What about if I let both residential and commercial property?

In the situation of you letting both residential and commercial property it is treated as a single business, which means profits and losses from all of your properties must be combined for the final taxable amount. If your business sees an overall loss, it can be used to reduce taxable profits for the following year. However, there is no tax relief available until you turn a profit except where all or part of the loss relates to CA’s. 


How can I limit landlord tax?

Your overall tax bill can be reduced by claiming rental property loss relief against the tax you pay on your other employment income (subject to you having an alternative taxable income). This must be claimed either the same year or the subsequent year to when the loss arose. 


How can we help you?

If any of the above still remains unclear, or if you have any further questions  about landlord expenses then head to our website today. Alternatively, call 01384 261300 to speak to a member of our helpful and friendly accountancy team. 


If you have found this blog helpful, you may wish to read our previous blog on the Salary Sacrifice Scheme.

Cookie Control

Cookie control

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.

I'm fine with this

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better.

You can use this tool to change your cookie settings. Otherwise, we’ll assume you’re OK to continue.

Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to work.

We also use some non-essential cookies to collect information for making reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form.

To control third party cookies, you can also adjust your browser settings.

I'm fine with this
(One cookie will be set to store your preference)
(Ticking this sets a cookie to hide this popup if you then hit close. This will not store any personal information)
Information and Settings Cookie policy